Market Dispatch • September 2022
Chris Raper, CIM, CFP® | Co-Founder, Senior Wealth Advisor, Cross Border Specialist
Aspira’s Timely Market Dispatch – as at close of business Monday, September 26, 2022
The What – both fixed income and equity markets have been hit hard. Year-to-date performances are:
- S&P TSX Composite Index - 13%
- S&P 500 Index - 23%
- NASDAQ Composite Index - 31%
- iShares Aggregate Bond ETF - 16%
- Interest rates are up (maybe even more than you think), and investors believe they are going higher still as the world’s central bankers attempt to rein in inflation.
- Thus, stocks have a new competitor. By way of example, this morning, our very best rate on a $1.0M GIC was 4.8 per cent for a one-year term, whereas a five-year term was 4.90 per cent. A year ago, we wouldn’t have even made the inquiry.
- Most investors, the closet indexers, are in a house of pain. If you are an adherent to the retired person and pension standard of 40 per cent Aggregate Bond and 60 per cent S&P 500 Index investment allocation, your year-to-date returns are pegging in at roughly -20 per cent, before costs! If you are a NASDAQ investor (aka technology), it is even worse.
The Where – as in where are we different?
- Our strategies do not own the full spectrum of companies/industries represented by the S&P 500. Our company-by-company selection process is based on the best shareholder management teams, the best competitive advantages, the best industry tailwinds and the best rent cheque (dividend) growth we can find. We believe they will do better than broad markets in the long run.
- Our clients who are now in distribution mode have many months to years of spending requirements set aside. Time is on their side.
- Our ownership of companies that do well during inflationary times (commodity producers) has not only been our best performers, but we continue to see those companies as the least expensive across our entire roster.
The When – as in when will it get better?
- Unknowable, but we do know that investors are terrified, and historically speaking, these are contrarian indicators. We advocate with Buffett, “Be greedy when others are fearful”.
- Not unlike July’s low, this past week saw all sectors coming under heavy selling pressure, which points to a potential exhaustion move, aka selling climax.
- We remain firmly committed to our mantra, investor behaviour is the #1 determinant of lifetime returns. It dwarfs all others. Joining the crowd in a panic, while comforting in the short term, tends to destroy capital and thus livelihoods in the long term.
It takes both of us to get through these tough seasons. Yes, they are not as much fun as when markets are roaring north, but enduring these times is a necessary price to long-term success. The companies we are invested in continue to pay their dividends, and we have seen multiple cases of strong double-digit growth. We remain confident that this too shall pass. In the interim, we focus on making the most of the opportunities we are presented with. If you have money to invest, please reach out now and not when you’re feeling buoyant. By then, the best opportunities will have passed.
We will be back to you not later than Friday, October 14, 2022, with another edition of The Quarterly Opportunity update with our 2022 third quarter investment performances for each of the in-house strategies we manage. Please reach out if we can help in any way.
- Victoria 1175 Douglas Street Suite 1000 Victoria, BC V8W 2E1
- T 250.405.2434
- Map & Directions
- Map & Directions
Website legal disclaimers
Raymond James Ltd. is an indirect wholly-owned subsidiary of Raymond James Financial, Inc.
Securities-related products and services are offered through Raymond James Ltd., member Canadian Investor Protection Fund.
Insurance products and services are offered through Raymond James Financial Planning Ltd, which is not a member Canadian Investor Protection Fund.
Raymond James Trust Services are offered by Raymond James Trust (Canada) in the provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Ontario, and by Raymond James Trust (Québec) Ltd. in the province of Québec. Both entities are wholly owned subsidiaries of Raymond James Ltd. Trust Services are not covered by the Canadian Investor Protection Fund. Use of the Raymond James Ltd. website is governed by the Web Use Agreement | Client Concerns.
Raymond James (USA) Ltd. All rights reserved.
Raymond James (USA) Ltd. advisors may only conduct business with residents of the states and/or jurisdictions in which they are properly registered. Investors outside the United States are subject to securities and tax regulations within their applicable jurisdictions that are not addressed on this website.
Raymond James (USA) Ltd. is a member of FINRA/SIPC.
Please click on the link below to stay connected via email.
*You can withdraw your consent at any time by unsubscribing to our emails.